Free Public Pre-K Program in Jersey City
As parents, most of us go through the process of choosing a daycare or pre-school for our little ones. If you are looking for more information about the Free Public Pre-K Program in Jersey City, you’ve come to the right place! Jersey City Public Schools have a Free Pre-K Program for residents in Jersey City, and parents who have a child who will be 3 years on or before October 1, 2019 have a few options available:
Contracted Childcare Centers
The Contracted Childcare Centers will begin registration for the Pre-K three-year old program in March for the 2019-2020 school year. Each center continues to register until their program is full. Contact the Contracted Childcare Center directly for the registration dates and times. Take a look at our flyer below for their contact information.
Jersey City Public Schools:
Families living in the school area of P.S. #3, #5, #16, #23, #24, #33, #37, or #39 may register at their neighborhood public school. Registration for the 2019-2020 school year is from March 1 – March 29, 2019, from 9:00 am – 11:00 am. Sibling Preference applications are available at your neighborhood school and must be submitted by March 29,
Pre-K 4 information
Parents who have a child who will be 4 years of age on or before October 1, 2019 can register their child starting in the month of March for the 2019-2020 school year at SuperTots II Educational Center, Inc. For registration times and dates, contact the center directly. All families are also able to register at their neighborhood public school. Registration for the 2019-2020 school year is from March 1 – March 29, 2019, from 9:00 am – 11:00 am. Sibling Preference applications are available and must be submitted by March 29, 2019.
To-do list in order to register
To register, the Parent/Guardian is required to have their photo I.D. to enter the building. Also make sure you bring the original, as well as a copy of the following:
- Child’s original birth certificate documenting 3 or 4 years of age on or before October 1, 2019
- Two proofs of residency (current telephone bill and utility bill) and a copy of each
- Child’s record of immunizations and a copy
- Child must accompany parent or guardian at the time of registration
Contact The Contracted Childcare Centers through this link, or find their information on the flyer below! You can also call Early Childhood at (201) 915-6078
Department of Early Childhood is committed to providing the 3- and 4-year old children, who are Jersey City residents, with developmentally appropriate preschool experiences. Our mission is to:
- Provide a learning environment that will help children develop intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Include education on health, nutrition, and social and emotional well being into a daily program of varied activities.
- Enhance children’s feelings of self-worth and appreciation of their own and other’s ethnicity, cultures, and languages.
- Develop social competence by providing opportunities for children to make decisions and solve problems during their school day.
- Ease the transition of children into primary grades by providing appropriate early childhood experiences.
We contract with childcare centers throughout Jersey City to provide classes for most of our three year olds, and the majority of our four year olds attend classes in the Jersey City Board of Education schools. All classes are small—no more than 15 children—and are staffed with certified Early Childhood professionals and paraprofessionals. We do provide breakfast and lunch for our Preschool students.
If you have questions about our Early Childhood Preschool program, contact our office by phoning us at 201-915-6045.
We use the High Scope Curriculum which is a research- based, educational approach that emphasizes “active participatory learning.” Active learnings means students have direct hands-on experiences with people, objects, events and ideas. Learn about your pre-schoolers day through this video that offers a a glimpse into our Pre-K classrooms.