Whether you’re snuggling in or bundling up to go out, we’ve got the perfect winter day companion: a mug of rich, creamy hot chocolate! This recipe is sure to satisfy all the hot chocolate lovers in your life, and is super easy to make at home. Be sure to have extra ingredients on hand for when you come in from the cold, treat the kids during a playdate, or just need to fulfill a chocolate craving.
Please let us know how you like it in the comments!
What you will need:
2 cups whole milk
2 cups half-and-half cream
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
Let’s get started!
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan on medium heat until it just begins to summer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Make sure the chocolate is chopped finely so that it melts easily!
- When the chocolate is melted, slowly add in the sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk gently.
- Reheat, but do not boil, and serve immediately.
- Top with whipped cream and marshmallows, and garnish with a sprinkle of finely chopped chocolate or a cinnamon and enjoy!
Makes 4-5 servings.
DID YOU KNOW?
– Chocolate Edition –
Chocolate is known as nature’s anti-depressant. This sweet treat is a go-to food for many who seek to relieve stress or to help lift a low mood. This is because cocoa beans release chemicals that increase our serotonin and dopamine levels, our “pleasure” receptors, into our brain when consumed. In fact, a study done by the Nestlé Research Center in Switzerland recently found that eating 1.4 oz of dark chocolate every day for two weeks reduced stress hormones. So to all moms out there, if you ever have one of those stressful or frustrating days where nothing seems to go right, pamper yourselves with a bit of chocolate!