Waterfront Montessori is a Baccalaureate school for children aging between the toddler and middle school years. They are a school that is built upon passion for education. There are two ways you can find out more information about this school. One is to please continue reading this blog and I will inform you on more of this schools beliefs and programs. The other option is to visit them for yourselves! Waterfront Montessori school located in Jersey City is having an open house on Wednesday, November 13 from 6:30-8:30 pm. To attend this open house (or any their open house that they offer the following months) be sure to visit their website (www.waterfrontmontessori.com) in order to register for the date you wish to visit.
When you first visit the main website of Waterfront Montessori there are three big words sitting at the very top. “Engaging. Exciting. Joyful.” Those three words are the three words this school believes defines what aspects in education and schooling systems can bring about the best outcome for your children. What can I say, those words grabbed me!
At Waterfront Montessori, located in Jersey City, they offer education for children of the ages 2 through Grade 8. They also offer a specific program, the IB Middle Years Program for students in grades 6 to grade 8. In this school they are very passionate about education. They believe in providing each child the individual experience they each need in order to grow and achieve. They believe that it is not their duty to shape each child, but instead that it is their duty to provide them with the essentials that they need to become their own success; encouraging each child to acknowledge and grow from his or her own set of gifts and interests.
The curriculum in place at Waterfront Montessori is one unique to most schools. The curriculum in place is designed to offer structure and guidance for the students while at the same time maintaining the feeling of freedom and choice for each child to roam. In this school they feel this is an important process for each child because it promotes a bigger sense of self-awareness as well as producing children to be self-confident, well balanced, and focused on whatever their interests may be.
There are five different programs available in Waterfront Montessori in Jersey City. Each program is divided by age groups, guaranteeing the proper education for each child placed in this school system. The programs available in Waterfront Montessori are as follows:
The Toddler Program:
- For children of the ages 2-3
- Designed as a stepping stone for children to step away from their home and begin to feel comfortable in a school environment for the very first time.
- Classroom designed so that the children can explore
- Activities are in place to promote self-care, develop motor skills, and begin to concentrate and absorb multi-step directions and to develop social skills.
The Primary Program:
- For children of the age group for Pre-K3 and Pre-K4
- Promotes language and language skills, writing, reading, mathematics, science, geography and culture subject areas
- A learning environment that provides order, encourages exploration, encourages choice amongst many other forms of structure
The Kindergarten Program:
- For children of the ages 5-6
- It is an extension of the primary program and a transition to the Elementary program
- The space between the children in the kindergarten program and the primary program is shared, promoting and providing guidance for the younger children from the older ones and leadership for the older children, helping them to reinforce what they have mastered in their previous years.
- Offers more advanced activities, both as an entire group and within their classroom groupings
The Elementary Program
- For children in grades 1-5
- Transitioning the children from thinking concretely to making more abstract thoughts
- Curriculum of the sciences, computers and technology, mathematics, literacy and literature, social sciences, history, world geography and civics
- The use of different art forms (such as art, music, poetry, etc.) to lend excitement to the day of each student
The Middle School Program
- For children in grades 6-8
- Provides a structure of academic challenge that encourages the students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world
- Students are required to study two languages, sciences, mathematics, humanities, arts, physical education and technology
Think one or all of these programs sound like something that would work for yourself and your child? Then why not take a closer look for yourself! As I stated earlier, Waterfront Montessori in Jersey City is having an open house Wednesday November 13 from 6:30-8:30 pm. If you cannot make this date but are very interested they have other dates available, one in December and another in January. Just be sure to visit the Waterfront Montessori website and register for the date that works for you! Happy School search!